This card requires:
- 3 tokens generated (although can be used with less, for less payout)
- 2 resources
In return it gives:
- 3 x Unexpected Courage you can commit to future tests
Not a huge cost but a fairly mediocre pay off for the investment. For similar affect you could just run Unexpected Courage without the need for the setup.
However, alongside Ancient Covenant this card becomes a powerhouse.
This is a hugely powerful affect, +2 should usually translate into an auto success for most attempted skill tests. However, even if +2 isn't enough you'll know exactly how much you'll need to boost/commit.
It's also immensely flexible. You can pick the exact tests you want to succeed and the test doesn't even have to be on your turn:
- Guarantee success against dangerous and difficult tests in the mythos phase
- Guarantee success on an important investigate/fight/evade
- Guarantee avoiding a disastrous cultist, skull or elder thing token in the last turns of the scenario
- Guarantee a big combo/commitment play (less relevant in Survivor but huge for the Surivor secondaries Minh Thi Phan or Preston Fairmont)
For more power combine with Unrelenting (1) to seal the good tokens to get the draw 2 card effect knowing you're going to pass.
The only real limit is the exhaust stipulation so you'll have to pace out your successes over several turns.
Survivor has great access to easy generation with:
and also the neutral:
- Tempt Fate (0)
- Underwhelming card in isolation
- Alongside Ancient Covenant and even a modicum of generation this card is a monster in almost any deck and is worthy of a taboo
P.S. I've now play tested this in Preston Fairmont and it's as degenerate as I expected it to be. Comboed with the success / over succeed mechanics in Rogue this effect is far too powerful. While occasionally being able to cheat the bag is fun, being able to reliably do it once every turn takes away a lot of what makes Arkham the experience it is (the chance of drawing the ).
Rogue is the most able to abuse this with big all in play, see my Preston - The Favoured Sun Over Succeeds deck for an example of what's possible.
However, it's way overtuned in any class and needs to be tabooed. I would suggest that Ancient Covenant needs to be only be usable on natural chaos bag draws.